Public sector bodies have to:
- Make information re-usable for commercial or non-commercial purposes under nondiscriminatory conditions.
- Process requests and provide access within 20 days (or 40 if request is complex); justify negative decision and inform about how to appeal.
- Charge no more than cost of reproduction, provision and dissemination; publicise charges and indicate calculation basis on request.
- Publish licences in digital format.
- Facilitate search for information preferably online (e.g. portal).
Public sector bodies may not:
- Unnecessarily restrict reuse.
- Grant exclusive rights, unless necessary, subject to review every 3 years.
Public sector bodies do not have to:
- Make information available that is excluded by virtue of access regimes in the Member States
- Adapt formats or provide translations.