How does the revised PSI Directive encourage openness?
- Sets minimum rules across the EU for availability of information produced by public sector and government agencies.
- Specifies rights for people and organisations that want to reuse the information.
- Recommends distribution by electronic means. But:
- Does not mandate information to be available free of charge (marginal cost of reproduction, provision and dissemination may be charged).
- Allows some public sector organisations to charge in order to cover cost (e.g. special arrangements for cultural heritage organisations).